Sleep is so important for our overall wellbeing, and like with health, we only realise it, once we don’t have it anymore. We might take a good night’s sleep for granted, until one day we can’t fall asleep as easily, or we don’t sleep through the night uninterrupted.
One or two bad nights are ok, though when it last weeks and months, and sleep still eludes us, then we know, we have a problem.
Like any new Mom, I learned how tired you can be, when you have interrupted nights with a baby. You just keep going, you don’t even notice how tired you are.
I only notice how tiring getting up in the middle of the night is, when my three children all slept through the night, and then winter came, and they had a cold or a sniffle and I was back to interrupted nights. I was so exhausted, and I forgot how tiring getting up was, plus I still don’t know how I did it all. Luckily, we forget.
Another form of interrupted nights happened to me more recently, going through Menopause, I woke up in the middle of the night with night sweats, and fear. Both very unpleasant, and I am glad I found ways to ease both.
Sometimes we can’t fall asleep and keep rolling over and still sleep eludes us.
What happens, when we don’t have a healthy sleep
- We are tired, exhausted,
- lack of concentration
- lack of joy
- everything feels hard and like an uphill battle
- a lack of sleep can lead to stress, burnout,
We can be pulled into the cycle of needing coffee in the morning to wake up and then wine to relax in the evening to unwind……
What can help to sleep well
- Bedtime routine, establish a routine before you go to bed to ease and signal your body it is time for bed.
- Clear bedroom, air your bedroom, remove clutter, comfy bedding,
- Lavender, sachets or spray or essential oil, even tea
- Gratitude ritual (you can read more in my gratitude blog post)
- Clearing the energy (you can read more in my blog post)
- Soothing music
- Ear plugs, if noises keep you up or wake you up
- Create a safe and comfy area around your bed
Healthy Bedtime Routine
Download my Self Love Module:
Heart & Soul
Learn more about sleep in our latest episode of Heart and Soul. Janet Groom and I are sharing about how sleep eluded us during our lives and what we learned and what helped us.
Watch on YouTube
Listen on Podcast
Warmest of hugs